Khalsa Youth Camp is hosted at Guru Ram Dad Puri in the piñon- and juniper-clad hills of Northern New Mexico, designed to deepen children’s experience with their inner, as well as outer, Self.
Each day begins with a children’s Sadhana including Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan®, meditation, and chanting; followed by a youth-centered Gurdwara; parade marching; and camp karma yoga. A variety of activities fill each week, including yoga and meditation, arts and crafts, martial arts, sports, swimming, outdoor skills, games, field trips, special guest teachers and teachings on healthy, happy, and holy living.
- Gatka – A graceful dance that is also a practical Sikh martial art.
- Kirtan and Group Song – Daily chanting and camp songs to uplift the mind and soul.
- Bhangra – Energetic Indian folk dance.
- Community Service at an Elder Care Facility – We give an informal concert of inspiring songs of peace for the elderly and disabled.
- Partners Balloon Toss and Drum Talk – Cooperative activities encouraging team work, listening, and creativity.
- The Circle of Power and Respect – Campers circle up with their peers to discuss a topic of interest or concern. C.A.R.E. skills are taught and practiced: Cooperation, Assertive Talk, Responsibility, Empathy.
- The Mesa Hike – A group hike focusing on “Keeping Up” mentally and physically.
- Numerology and Self-Understanding – A yogic science of understanding your gifts and challenges in life.
- Presentation for parents, guests at Guru Ram Das Puri – An opportunity for campers to show what they’ve learned and for parents and guests to experience the camper’s radiance and joy.
- Visit to the Santa Fe Children’s Museum.
- Swimming at the Chavez Center in Santa Fe.
- 4th of July Piñata Party – A fun-filled evening combining the Piñata Art Project with a piñata party celebrating United States Independence Day.
- Zen Archery – A mindful approach to archery incorporating yogic breathing to balance the chakras and hit the bull’s eye.
- Teachings on 3HO Healthy, Happy, and Holy Living – Sharing and adapting the priceless teachings of Yogi Bhajan who said, “Happiness is your Birthright.”
- KYC Family Carnival Day – An end-of-camp day of family fun and relaxation.
- Time Capsule Retrieval and Burial – Campers create their group’s own time capsule. We retrieve the previous years time capsule and bury our new one.
- Martial Arts – Daily lessons in martial arts with a guest teacher.
- Pancake Pool Party – a pool, pancakes, a party!
- 2 Night Camping Trip - When KYC at Guru Ras Puri concludes, older children ages 9 to 12 head out on a 2 night camping trip.
- Visit to the PEEC, Los Alamos Nature Center
- Ice skating at the Chavez Community Center