Helpful Info for Registered Attendees
3HO’s Summer Solstice is a 5-day spiritual gathering in the high desert mountains of New Mexico. It is a rare opportunity to cleanse the mind, go beyond ego and feel your spirit soar.
The Summer Solstice festival includes Kundalini Yoga workshops, days of deep meditation through 2 days of the 21 Stages, Morning Sadhana, kirtan and music concerts, time to connect and serve each other and the uplifting energy of conscious community.
Much of the information available on this page is also available on other pages on the Summer Solstice website. However, we have assembled many pieces of helpful information here, in an attempt to make the planning for your Solstice journey as easy as possible. You can also refer to the FAQ section on the Main Solstice webpage.
Our event is located in the high desert mountains of Northern New Mexico. Temperatures in the day range from 85-100 Degrees F and at night 50-60 F. The setting is breathtaking and the air is dry. It can be very chilly in the morning so please bring layers!
Please Note: At Summer Solstice it is often quite hot and dry during the day. It often rains hard at least once. It can get cold at night.
- Government issued Photo ID (passport, driver’s license, etc), is needed to check in at the event.
- Your Confirmation Email (presenting this on your phone is best)
- Close Toed Shoes (Not Sandals, for daily use)
- Layered clothing appropriate for yoga practice, karma yoga, and playing is necessary for this desert climate hot days and cool evenings with some chilly mornings.
- Hooded windbreaker
- Hat for sun and gloves
- Rain gear
- Warm Sleeping bag
- Scarf or Headcover if attending Gurdwara or White Tantric Yoga®
- Flip flops or shower shoes
- Sheepskin or yoga mat
- Warm blanket or shawl, and/or coat for morning sadhana
- Toiletries (including sunscreen, lip balm, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.) and towels, these items are not for sale on-site
- Daypack to hold the things you will want to have with you over the course of each day. Please remember to keep valuables with you at all times, 3HO is not responsible for lost or stolen items
- Flashlight with spare batteries
- White cotton clothing and white cotton head covering for White Tantric Yoga®, if attending
- Cup or travel mug (for hot and cold beverages), and cloth napkins. *This year we are using compostable cups/bowls for food serving
- Water bottle
- First Aid supplies (band-aids, tweezers, aspirin/ibuprofen/acetaminophen, etc.)
- Almond Oil (to lubricate dry nostrils and skin)
- Feminine product supplies
- For those tenting, please bring a waterproof tent with a rain flap. Although rain is not common it does happen and when it does it can be torrential
Please label your luggage with the following information: name, phone number, email and home address.
To help maintain the health and long life of the Earth, we are conscious of preserving the ecological balance on-site. Please keep this in mind as you select items to bring with you.
- Please do not bring any aerosol sprays
- Use items that have only a minimum of disposable packaging
- Any flammable materials including candles, incense, lighters, and matches.
The 3HO Summer Solstice Festival is located in Española, New Mexico. There are independent shuttle services available to drive you from the Albuquerque International Sunport (airport) to Ram Das Puri, where camp is located. You must make arrangements directly with them via phone. MORE SHUTTLE INFORMATION IS COMING SOON.
If you arrive in New Mexico before the scheduled arrival day or miss the last shuttle departure time from the airport, you will need to make arrangements to either stay in a hotel, or find alternative means of transportation. Please do not arrive at Ram Das Puri before the scheduled arrival day. Please read the specific information that follows regarding how to schedule your itinerary and arrange for transportation assistance to the site. Look for Shuttle Information by March 21st 2023!
Flying: Most people traveling to the Ram Das Puri campsite for Summer Solstice fly to Albuquerque, New Mexico, and take a shuttle from the airport to the campsite. If you are taking a shuttle, please make your reservation ahead of time and arrive at least thirty minutes before your shuttle departs. The largest airport in the vicinity is the Albuquerque International Sunport in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This major airport is a 1½-hour drive to the town of Española, and another 1/2 hour drive to the campsite. (Airport Code: ABQ) There is also a smaller municipal airport located in Santa Fe, New Mexico, which is about a 45 minute drive from Española and another 1/2 hour drive from the campsite. (Airport code: SAF)
Airport Hotel: If you arrive to Albuquerque (Airport Code: ABQ) late at night and there are no shuttle options available, you can stay at a hotel near the airport and arrange ground transportation for the following day.
Please consult the Travel/Stay page on the Summer Solstice website for specific driving directions to Ram Das Puri.
Please view the Travel/Stay page of the Solstice website for information regarding various Solstice accommodations, including tenting, tent rentals, cabins, and RV spaces. You can also find information regarding other local accommodations, away from the Solstice site.
Please plan to arrive prior to 7 pm in order to better facilitate your Check-in Process and Registration, as well as set-up your tent.
- In general, if you are camping, please plan to arrive on site before 5 pm in order to better facilitate efficient Registration/Check-In and tent set-up.
- If you are staying in a cabin you must arrive prior to 8:30 pm so that you can check in at Registration which closes at 9:00 pm; if you need to arrive later you will be directed to spend the night in the Main Teaching Shelter. We suggest you have your sleeping bag, mat and/or sheepskin, and toiletry items accessible to bring to the Shelter with you. Registration/Check-In will open at 9 am.
- If you plan to arrive at Ram Das Puri after 9:00 pm, you will need to spend the night in a motel and you can make arrangements to have the shuttle pick you up in the morning. Registration and the front gate will be closed.
- If you arrive in New Mexico before the scheduled arrival day or miss the last shuttle departure time, you will need to make arrangements to stay in a motel/hotel. If you need to arrive at Ram Das Puri before the scheduled arrival day or leave after the last day at noon, you will need to make reservations in a hotel or other arrangements off-site.
Driving In For Pre-Registrants: Please print out your Event Ticket that you received in your email after your registered. You will be waved through the front gate to find a parking spot. Every full registrant is required to check-in at the registration tent prior to setting up camp or unpacking.
Luggage Shuttle: Once on site, please leave your baggage in the Luggage Shuttle holding area. If you already know your camping destination or if you have a cabin or tent space, please place items in the appropriate areas (rental tent or cabin number). If you do not know where you are camping please decide where you want to camp prior to returning to the luggage area so you can place luggage in appropriate area. Once you have completed Check-In/Registration please return to shuttle if you didn’t know where your luggage was going. *Cars are no longer allowed to drive on the premises.
Check-In & Registration: All camp participants must proceed to the registration area after parking their vehicles. Please bring the following information with you to the Registration trailer:
- All Registrants: An I.D. such as a driver’s license to verify your information.
- International Travelers: Round trip airline ticket confirmation
Cabin and RV Spaces: If you have reserved a bunk or cot in a cabin you will have with your badge a tag that you will put on in your bunk or cot. There will also be a list posted at the cabins. Please do not put your belonging on a bed if you have not put your tag there. Your tag will say whether you have a top or bottom bunk space or in some cabins there are some bottom bunks not set aside, check the cabin list to make sure that if there is a senior with a bottom bunk that there is a space left.
For RV’s you will also receive a tag to put in the window of your RV and your name will be posted on the marker at the site.
Karma Yoga: Check out the Karma Yoga Registration Area to find where your Karma Yoga team meeting is.
Return to Luggage Area: Please place your bags in the areas marked for camping or specific cabin numbers. You should have received your cabin or rental tent tag with the number on it so place luggage in appropriate areas. You will receive a program that has a camp map during registration. Your luggage will be transported to your living area and you will walk there to pick it up.
Set Up Camp: Now you are free to unpack and settle in. Please walk to the Luggage Shuttle drop point closest to where you’ll be camping. Collect your things and proceed to your chosen campsite. Wheelbarrows are provided for campers to reach their campsite.
Late Arrivals: Please be sure to bring your Event Ticket and arrive at camp before 7:00pm in order to better facilitate your safety and security. Registration closes at 9:00pm. If you don’t arrive in time to go through the on-site registration process before they close, and you do not have your Event Ticket, you will need to register with Security to enter the site. Registered late arrivals may have to sleep in the Main Shelter. You will need to check-in at the on-site Registration immediately after breakfast the following morning. Please be aware that if you arrive after Registration closes and you have not pre-registered, you must register immediately the following morning or you may be asked to leave the site.
The Solstice Festival transitions to White Tantric Yoga® on June 21, 2023
- Summer Solstice officially ends with an all camp class on June 21. If you are staying for WTY, June 21 is a transition day to the Tantric energy. There will be a breakfast and morning class. No lunch will be served. The afternoon will be free for departing guests and White Tantric arrivals. The evening will be a special Solstice concert.
- Immediately after breakfast, camp will begin a transition to White Tantric Yoga. Please confirm your return shuttle reservations prior to breakdown.
- Ram Das Puri closes to the public at noon on the June 23. Please schedule your departure from the site for prior to 12:00 pm.
- If you are arriving for WTY on June 21, there will be a concert and evening dinner, please arrive within the timeframes posted above.
- WTY and camp officially ends with a farewell breakfast in the morning on June 23.
- Be certain to leave enough time to gather and pack all of your belongings prior to your departure time.
- Please do not leave behind your tent, sleeping bag, or other such items, bring them to the recycling center at the bottom of the hill and not to the Solstice Lost and Found. It creates a lot of extra work and they are thrown out in the trash. Please make sure you leave your area in the condition you found it, recycle what can be recycled, and throw the rest in the trash. This is the final stage of your yogic practice of seva at solstice.
The Solstice Diet is a unique opportunity to simplify food and live in connection with the earth, deepening into the ability to meditate. While it may appear to be very simple, the body and soul crave the opportunity to cleanse and renew. This menu is crafted to give you the best opportunity to engage fully in the meditative experience and the Yogic Practices.
There will be three meals a day: Breakfast at 7:30-8:30am, Lunch at 1:30-2:30pm, and Dinner at 5:45-6:45pm.
Due to COVID-19, we are shifting to compostable plates/utensils. But please do bring a reusable mug for Yogi Tea.
Breakfast: A potato, celery, and onion soup is served with bananas and oranges on the side.
Lunch: Quinoa tabouli, hummus, stuffed grape leaves, tortillas. A gluten free tortilla is available.
Dinner: Mung beans and rice with lettuce, steamed beets and carrots, and hot sauce served on the side. A special meal is served for dinner on the night before camp ends.
Yogi Tea: Yogi Tea, with one vegan option, will be served twice daily. There are also hot water and alternative Yogi Tea options provided all day long.
- A Drug/Alcohol/Smoke-Free Camp: Keeping your consciousness clear and uplifted enhances the transformational experience of Solstice and this is an opportunity to help your body cleanse. Summer Solstice is a drug-free, alcohol-free, and smoke-free camp.
- This is a vegetarian and meat free environment.
- While we share in the love for our animal friends, please do not bring your pets. We cannot accommodate them on site.
- Please leave your environment cleaner than when you arrived. We ask that you “pack it in and pack it out” (if you brought it in, please take it with you when you leave). However, compost, recycle and landfill containers are provided to serve you.
- Please turn off cell phones and all other personal electronics before participating in Morning Sadhana, Workshops and White Tantric Yoga®.
- Photography and filming are not permitted during White Tantric Yoga®. Flash photography is not permitted during Morning Sadhana.
- Candles, matches, incense and other combustible materials are prohibited at Solstice unless they have been approved by 3HO for use in all-camp activities.
- Criminal activity will not be tolerated. If you are suspected of criminal activity you will be investigated by 3HO staff and local law enforcement. If you are found guilty of criminal activity you may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and restricted from attending future 3HO events.
- All-Camp quiet hours are 9:45pm – 3:15am except in designated areas and with 3HO Administration approval. One of our top priorities is providing the opportunity for everyone to experience group Sadhana every morning in the Amrit Vela (the ambrosial hours between 3–7 am), so late night activities are limited. All music, evening activities, and the bazaar end by 9:30 pm, and lights out in the camp is at 10 pm.
- No firearms or weapons are allowed on the premises, including Conceal Carry of handguns. Kirpans are allowed.
- Clothing and wardrobe choices are encouraged to support a meditative practice. Revealing or transparent clothing are discouraged as this can be distracting for people in a meditative process.
- 3HO reserves the right to remove any participant not adhering to the camp Code of Conduct.
- Please respect other’s boundaries and seek consent when looking to connect with others. This is an event for healing for many, and what each person needs for their healing is different. Asking for permission before seeking out a hug, emotional sharing or other intimate interaction shows your respect for the other person and makes the interaction that much more meaningful. Breaching of another’s personal boundaries is not acceptable at this event.
- Any conduct deemed inappropriate by 3HO may be grounds for dismissal from camp.
Every year we hire the Rio Arriba County Sheriff Department to provide onsite security at our event. In the case of an emergency, a reported theft or any other criminal activity we will report to the onsite deputy on duty. We also staff a volunteer security service exchange team that monitors the flow of traffic in and out of camp, roams the camp area and the bazaar, and is available to respond to emergency situations and to communicate with the authorized deputy concerning actionable events. 3HO International is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Please secure valuables in your vehicle or keep them on your person in a small back pack during the day. We will do our utmost to help you recover lost or stolen property, but you are solely responsible for your own possessions, please keep this in mind when you are packing for the event.
We understand that computers and cell phones are part of the Aquarian Age. During the event we ask that you consider the sacred atmosphere we are creating at Summer Solstice so please choose to be discreet about usage.
Phones: If you must use a cell phone, please use discretion. Reception at the Solstice site is reasonable but not excellent. We require that you please turn off your phones during workshops, classes, meditations.
Internet: We do not provide internet connection; it is recommended that you leave your computers at home. 3HO International is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Please leave your environment cleaner than when you arrived. We ask that you “pack it in and pack it out” (if you brought it in, please take it with you when you leave). However, compost, recycle, and landfill containers are provided to serve you. Summer Solstice takes place on the sacred land of Ram Das Puri.
3HO International encourages you to record your experiences at Solstice through filming and photography. We are happy for you to share your reflections of Solstice. We consider this to be a valuable way of communicating the joy and vibrancy of our community. Please be sensitive to the privacy of others, use your intuition to decide whether you are being intrusive or not. We also need your consent to share the words and images that our Photography Team records during the event. Please review the guidelines for Filming and Photography so that issues of privacy and copyright are well understood. You will be required to sign this consent and release/liability form at on-site registration.
Each year at the start of Solstice, the management team is educated by the Española Fire Department on protocol in the event of a fire. We take this training annually to remind ourselves of the potential for fire and how to respond and take care of the Solstice Community. The Española Fire Department is aware and alert to our event each year. As a participant, you contribute to fire safety by remembering that all personal fires and cook fires including candles, matches, cigarettes, incense, and other combustible materials are prohibited at Ram Das Puri.
To maintain your meditative experience, please avoid going off-site. If you do need to go off-site, you must bring your Solstice badge which you will need to show to the Parking and/or Security Team when coming and going. Participants under the age of 18 cannot leave unless chaperoned by their parent or legal guardian. Note: This policy has been created for your safety and so that the Solstice team can be aware of who is on-site or off-site in the case of an emergency.
We have basic first-aid facilities at the Ram Das Puri campsite. An emergency hospital is approximately 25 minutes away in Española. If you are on medication please make sure you bring an adequate supply with you, and continue with your medication use as prescribed by your doctor. Medical doctors, and other health professionals are available on site to provide first aid for acute medical conditions. If you have any special health needs or are taking any medications, please fill out our Adult Medical Form. Please be certain to bring your proof of proper Medical Insurance or money in case of major medical emergency. If you have any specific concerns regarding how this activity may affect your health, please consult your physician before your program begins. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact Customer Service. Please Note: Kundalini Yoga is a powerful ancient tradition, but should not be used as a substitute for regular or necessary medical care or prescribed medications.
One of our top priorities is providing the opportunity for everyone to experience group Sadhana every morning in the Amrit Vela (the ambrosial hours between 3–7 am) so late night activities are limited. All music, evening activities, and the bazaar end by 9:50 pm, and lights out in the camp is at 10 pm.
If you see any items left behind, please pick them up and place them in the nearest landfill, recycling, or compost bin, or take them to the lost and found at Hospitality, as appropriate. Valuable items are taken to Security.
Recently, LYF installed meters to monitor the water usage at Ram Das Puri. In New Mexico, property is given a set amount of underground water to use on a quarterly basis. Currently, Summer Solstice is just under the allocated amount for the second quarter. As Summer Solstice attendance grows, LYF and 3HO International have implemented water conservation efforts including automatic shut-off faucets and shower head water volume restrictors. The shower head volume restrictors effectively reduce the gallons per minute used from the standard low-flow 2.5 gpm (gallons per minute) to 1.6 gpm. We also use Kohler “energy smart toilets,” which are 1.2 gpf (gallons per flush). We encourage all participants to be mindful of water use, such as making sure that faucets and shower heads are not left dripping. Ram Das Puri is located in the high desert where water conservation is of utmost importance. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding in helping to care for this fragile environment.
The long-term vision for Ram Das Puri includes transitioning from diesel-generated electricity to solar and wind electric solutions. Of course, this all depends upon funding for Ram Das Puri development. If you would like to support the Ram Puri Development Fund, click here to donate or add a donation to your Solstice online registration. Currently, we use liquid propane for cooking because we have a commercial-grade kitchen, which is designed to run efficiently using petroleum-based fuels. As we add commercial appliances to the kitchen, energy efficiency is always considered prior to making purchases.
Our firm policy is to leave all campsites cleaner than when we arrived. Summer Solstice is a pack-it-in and pack-it-out event.