This is a set to create open loving feelings. It opens the heart, increases compassion and sensitivity to others, and helps you to drop emotional defensiveness. Its calming effect allows you to eliminate unnecessary thoughts and feelings, so you can be more in the present and experience your feelings more clearly.
1. Stand with palms together in Prayer Pose at the center of the chest and do a steady Breath of Fire. Continue for 3 minutes. Inhale and hold briefly at the end.
2. Stand or sit with an erect spine. Keep the eyes open and look to the horizon. Make fists of both hands. Begin alternately punching with one fist then the other. Together the hands create a piston-like motion with one arm pulling back to balance the other arm punching forward. The hands do not turn or twist. Exhale with each punch forward and punch rapidly so the breath becomes like a Breath of Fire. Continue for 3 minutes. To end, inhale, draw both elbows back, tighten the fists, apply root lock, and suspend the breath for 5 seconds. Exhale and relax.
3. Stand straight, extend the arms out to the sides, and begin to make big circles with both arms at the same time. Inhale as they come forward and up, and exhale as they go back and down. Continue for 2 minutes. To end, inhale and stretch both arms straight up over the head. Exhale and relax.
4. Sit straight. Interlace the fingers with the thumb tips touching. Position the hands 4-6 inches in front of the chest with both palms facing down. Lift the elbows to the same level. Inhale as you lift the hands up to the level of the throat. Exhale as you sweep them down to the level of the Navel. Create a steady pumping motion with a powerful breath, and continue for 3 minutes. To end, inhale, bring the hands to the level of the heart, and suspend the breath for 10 seconds. Exhale and relax.
5. Stand or sit with a straight spine. Place the hands beside the shoulders with elbows by your sides and palms facing forward. Close your eyelids halfway and fix your gaze downward. Begin to slowly inhale and exhale. Your breath should be equal on the inhale and the exhale. Mentally repeat the following primal sound scale on both the inhale and exhale: Saa Taa Naa Maa. Press the thumb tips to the finger tips sequentially from the first finger tip to the little finger tip with Saa Taa Naa Maa, while you vibrate the mental sounds as you would with Kirtan Kriya. Continue for 3.5 minutes.
6. Sit with a straight spine. Block the right nostril gently with the index finger of the right hand. Inhale slowly through your left nostril; exhale slowly through rounded lips. Match the duration of the inhale and exhale, with each one lasting about 10 seconds. Continue with this slow breathing pattern for 3 minutes. Then relax and follow the natural flow of your breath for another 2 minutes.
© The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan
This kriya can be found in Transformation, vol. 2, available through KRI.