11 Day Stipend Paid Position
Location: Guru Ram Das Puri, Espanola, New Mexico
Must be a US citizen or have the required documentation to work in the US.
The Khalsa Youth Camp (KYC) Assistant Camp Director is a stipend paid position serving KYC Sunday, June 23 through Wednesday, July 3, 2019.
Stipend Amount: $1000.
The Assistant Camp Director is also a volunteer member of the KYC administrative team who's members attend regularly scheduled KYC planning meetings throughout the year that support 3HO Foundation with KYC operational planning. The Assistant Camp Director interacts with Guides (counselors), campers and families. He/She is responsible for promoting the camp in accordance with the teachings of Yogi Bhajan, and therefore should be knowledgeable in the developmental needs of children and pre-teens according to Yogi Bhajan’s teachings and other like-minded established experts in the field of education and spiritual growth.
The Assistant Camp Director will closely work with SiriNam Singh Khalsa, the KYC Director, and with the KYC administration team to ensure the camp is adequately staffed throughout the week. He/She is also responsible for the safety of all campers while in the camp's care.
- Support the Camp Director and KYC team with the general operations of camp. The Assistant Camp Director must be knowledgeable about all the different areas of camp.
- The Assistant Camp Director is on call 24 hours a day to help make decisions concerning campers and staff security and safety and must be aware of campers’ physical and emotional needs as stipulated on each camper’s medical form.
- When necessary, collaboratively design, deliver, and evaluate camp’s daily activities which support the teachings of Yogi Bhajan. All activities should meet the needs and interests of the camp’s target populations and ensure their delivery in a safe and quality manner.
- Assist when necessary to design and ensure delivery of programs and activities which support the experience of each camper’s social, emotional and spiritual growth, e.g. Circle of Power and Respect, yoga sadhana and daily Gurdwara.
- Communicate with 3HO Foundation Event Administration throughout the year.
- In conjunction with the KYC Administrative Coordinator, make logistical decisions to ensure that camp runs smoothly.
- Collaborate with the Outdoor Skills Instructor to deliver and ensure the success of the 9-12 year old overnight camping trip.
- Help promote KYC and support camper enrollment throughout the year.
Qualities and Attributes:
- Degree in Education preferred
- Empathetic, sincere and assertive communicator with staff, children & parents
- Understands and relates well to children of all ages, and the staff
- Positive, upbeat, inspired and have a good sense of humor
- Preferably plays an instrument (guitar, harmonium)
- Understands child development and appropriate discipline congruent with camp policy
- Self-reflective and lifelong learner
- Excellent work ethic and decision-maker
- Passionate about camping, and education of children of all ages
- Committed to being part of KYC for the foreseeable future
- Devoted student of Yogi Bhajan
To apply, email [email protected]
Please include the title of the position, KYC Assistant Camp Director, in the subject line of your email. To be considered, your email must include two paragraphs describing why you are inspired by and qualified for this position and your resume must be attached.