Originally taught by Yogi Bhajan at Women’s Camp in Espanola, New Mexico on 7/4/84
This is a powerful and energetic kriya for a full tune-up of the nervous system. If the nerves are not tuned up, you will not be able to withstand the pressure of time. This kriya also works on two problems common to women: locked pelvis and locked shoulders.
When life gets challenging, you might find yourself in a crumpled heap on the floor. On the other hand, you can meet the challenge with calm creative solutions. This Kundalini Yoga kriya is designed to strengthen the nervous system so you can handle the pressure and stress of life just that way: calmly and creatively. It’s a lively workout and leaves you feeling relaxed and renewed.
Punjabi Drum or Bangara Rhythm CDs* work well for musical accompaniment as you shake in exercises 1 and 2—this will be especially effective for those with couch potato tendencies or sedentary lives. You can cut the times way down and still feel great, or, if you are already in good shape, go the distance.
Whether you are a beginning yoga student or have been practicing for years, whether you are young or old, physically fit or a long way from it, tune in with Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo and use your sensitivity so you know when to push yourself and when to go easy. Have some fun with this kriya.
1. Sit in Easy Pose, raise the arms up with bent elbows and begin shaking the whole body. It should be an inward body massage. Every muscle and fiber must shake. Arms, body and head must move. Create your own rhythm and style. Generate heat. Continue for 7 - 15 minutes.
This will release toxins from your muscles. Get wild. Shake like an earthquake. It would take hours of massage to get to this point. Cheeks should get red. You must come to the dead end of tiredness.
2. Come standing up straight. Shake the hips from side to side by bending the knees alternately. Feet can either stay on the ground and hands can dangle loosely, or vigorously twist the hips and jump in the air while pumping your arms. Continue for 4 - 8 minutes.
Make this an energetic dance. Your thigh muscles should sweat. This will get rid of toxins, the dirty fat, the tissue deposits. This will get out the old anger in your body.
3. In Easy Pose, extend the arms straight over the head with palms together, arms against the ears. Twist the body left and right. Continue for 2 - 4 minutes.
It is a triangular move. If done powerfully, it will release your shoulders.
4. On the hands and knees, lift the left leg straight out behind you. Touch the forehead to the ground and come back up, like push-ups. Repeat 26 - 52 times. Repeat with the right leg 26 - 52 times.
5. Come up on your knees and bend back into Camel Pose, resting the hands on the heels. Then come back up onto the knees. 22 - 55 times.
6. Lie down flat on the back. Lift the knees up to the chest and place the hands under the hips. You may elevate the hips with the hands slightly, in order to get the knees to the chest. Extend the legs straight out. Raise the legs up to 90 degrees. Then bring the knees back to the chest. 54 - 108 times.
This movement gives power for your prana to be controlled by will. It is the movement of the Pavanmuktasana, where the prana is controlled by the will.
7. Lie down flat and put both hands over the Heart Center and relax. Sit up and bring the forehead to the knees and relax back down on the back. 13 - 26 times.
8. Corpse Pose. Lie down flat on the back for a deep relaxation. If a gong is available, make this a gong meditation. Continue for 4 - 8 minutes.
You will become weightless and enjoy it. Relax.
©The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan