Yogi Bhajan recommended camping upon the beautiful land of Guru Ram Das Puri to keep us connected to the Earth and to each other. Children especially benefit from this opportunity. The beautiful environment fosters yogic ideals of simplicity and harmony with the environment, oneself, and each other.
Your child’s time at camp is spent being physically active, spiritually aware, and away from mainstream culture. Children stay in rustic cabins, close to nature. Each child will need to bring their own sleeping bag/blankets, and pillow. If necessary, children under 7 may stay with their mothers who are attending International Women’s Camp at night, while older children stay overnight at the youth camp.
Bathing facilities are rustic. Indoor showers offer an opportunity for experiencing Ishnaan, or cold-water hydrotherapy. That is, there is only cold water for bathing. Portable toilets are available at KYC, with a few flush toilets a short walk away.
Camper Equipment List: Things to Bring
Please label all of your child’s belongings.
Sneakers (Velcro for 3 – 6 year olds)
7 – 10 pair socks
7 – 10 underpants
Pull-ups (if needed)
1 warm jacket
2 long pants
2 sets White Bana (Gurdwara clothes)
4 turbans/head coverings
6 – 8 shorts
6 – 8 t-shirts
2 pair of pajamas
Hair detangler (if necessary)
Water backpack (camel-pack) essential
Sheepskin/mat (for yoga)
Sleeping bag and pad
Laundry bag labeled with name
Spending money ($5 – 10)
(Note: please limit family photo, personal games, and toys to one favorite)
ITEMS TO LEAVE AT HOME
The following items are NOT permitted at KYC: all food items, CD players/iPods,
hair dryers, hatchets, knives*, candles, electronic games, keyboards, breakable
bottles, aerosol sprays, and pets.
*If your child is bringing a kirpan (ceremonial Sikh knife) to camp for Gurdwara,
please notify the Camp Director.
ITEMS NOT PERMITTED
Illegal drugs, alcohol, tobacco products, and herbs are prohibited. Possession
and/or use of these substances will cause immediate removal from camp
If your child is bringing prescribed medication, please notify the Camp Director on-site
to provide information on dosage, frequency, etc. and to arrange storage.
Guru Ram Das Puri is located in the Jemez Mountains west of the town of Española, New Mexico. Its scenic and remote location requires coordination between multiple forms of transportation and, therefore, some pre-planning.
When you arrive on site, please check in at registration.
Albuquerque, New Mexico, has the closest major airport (ABQ is the airport code) and services most major carriers. Contact your preferred airline, travel webpage, or travel agent to find specific flight information.
Guru Ram Das Puri is 8 miles from the nearest town and has no direct regular bus or shuttle service. However, there are options for shuttle reservations:
Twin Hearts Shuttle: 800.654.9456 or 575.751.1201
Reservations and Pricing:
- Price: $50 one-way or $90 round trip.
- Please call for reservations.
- Confirm the schedule with Twin Hearts prior to making airline reservations.
- Twin Hearts may not run during the second week of KYC.
Roadrunner Shuttle: 505.424.3367
Rates and Details:
- $50 one way and $90 round trip with a minimum of 5 people.
- If less than 5 passengers, the rate is $225.
- 48 hours advance notice for all reservations.
- Payment is by cash or check. No credit cards are accepted.
- Passengers arriving at the ABQ Airport should expect the shuttle to depart approximately 45 minutes after arrival.
- Meet the driver inside the bag claim area across from Carousel #3 at the Roadrunner booth.
Traveling by train can be cheap and convenient. Amtrak stops in Albuquerque. From there, separate transportation to Guru Ram Das Puri will need to be arranged.
Greyhound stops in three cities in the area: Albuquerque (2.5 hours from site), Santa Fe (1 hour from site), or Taos (1.25 hours from site). From there, separate transportation to Guru Ram Das Puri will need to be arranged.
If you live close enough to drive, we recommend carpooling with other parents and children in your community. Española is about 90 miles north of Albuquerque. Normally the road from Española to Guru Ram Das Puri is suitable for passenger cars but, in the case of wet weather, four-wheel drive may be necessary.
Driving directions from Albuquerque:
- Take I-25 North towards Santa Fe, approximately 55 miles.
- In Santa Fe, take Exit 282B, signed for St. Francis Drive and Hwy 285/84.
- Drive north through Santa Fe, following signs for Hwy 285/84
- Continue north on Hwy 285/84 to Española, approximately 25 miles.
- In the town of Española, Hwy 285/84 turns into Riverside Drive.
- Follow Riverside Drive until you come to Fairview Drive (there is a CVS Pharmacy on the left).
- Turn left onto Fairview and follow it across the bridge to the first signal, at Paseo de Oñate.
- Go straight through the intersection, Fairview becomes Industrial Park Rd. Heading up the hill, take the first right onto Calle de la Merced.
- Follow the road as it veers to the west and becomes a gravel road.
- Follow this road up the mountain for approximately 8 miles.
- The turn-in to Guru Ram Das Puri is clearly marked on your right.
- PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY as the road from Española to the site is unpaved, with some dangerous curves.
- Park your car in the lot and head to the registration area to check in. No cars allowed past the parking lot without special permission.