Your donation makes a difference! Your continued support and the belief in the mission of 3HO helps continue services that bring virtual opportunities for global connection through our website, educational tools such as online webinars and lifestyle support, and transformational events. Growth of our expanding global community is your legacy ̶ you can help people everywhere to be Healthy, Happy, and Holy!
By Yogi Bhajan
1. A Teacher will never alter the teachings because of personal opinion. You will teach by example.
2. The higher you grow as a Teacher, the more humble you have to be.
3. The Teacher always serves the students, so they can become ten times stronger than you, because every student is a Teacher for tomorrow.
4. A Teacher has to be extremely kind, caring, compassionate, and forgiving.
5. As a Teacher you should always poke, provoke, confront, and elevate your students to excellence.
6. As a Teacher you have to continuously imagine, visualize, believe, and expand in all directions; connect to everything, meditate, practice, and project that you are Ang Sang Wahe Guru (with every limb, every part of me, l belong to the Divine), and that the energy of Guru Ram Das is flowing through you.
7. As a Teacher you will always be in Chardi Kala (elevated spirits) and connected to your higher self, never caught in emotional turmoil. Count your blessings, not your curses. Always be graceful. Glow and grow.
8. As a Teacher you will continuously graduate towards the Divinity and Infinity that are the essence of your existence .You are not a human born for a spiritual search, you are a spirit, an Atma (soul), born for an experience as a human. Your purity and piety as an Atma are always maintained, protected, exalted, projected, as a priority over everything, and kept in sight mentally, physically, and spiritually.
9. As a Teacher listen to and obey all righteous teachings. If you read something, you will know it; if you write something, you will understand it; if you teach something, you will perfect it. It is perfection of your deliverance that gives you grace as a Teacher. Your success as a Teacher lies not in what you know, but in what your student receives. A Teacher is measured by the growth, dignity, and excellence of the student. If you find any talent, nurture it, teach it, exalt it to the best of your ability and Divinity.
10. As a Teacher do not relate to ego or politics. Always relate to the spirit, soul, and essence of a person. Always relate to the intelligence, talent, and consciousness of a person. Always relate to the manners, methods, and mentality of a person. Pure thoughts are the way to universal knowledge and will make you bountiful, blissful, and beautiful.
11. God and Guru have blessed you with Karma (the law of cause and effect). As a Teacher you must offer yourself in Dharma (lifestyle of righteousness) to honor the gift of God of life. Never create a drift or rift between you and your Atma.
12. A Teacher wears white cotton clothing while teaching. White clothing makes you as a teacher; look divine and represent light. The color white represents the seven colors. Cotton is the flower of the Earth. It is good for your psyche, for your energy, and for your nervous system. Your way of dressing should be saintly and make you glow with grace. You should look like a sage and a prince or princess of peace and divinity. A Teacher is a Ph.D. - Prince or Princess of High Divinity.
13. Just as a seed has to wither to become a tree and bear fruit, Teachers who do not become perfect students, do not become perfect Masters.
14. The Universal Spirit that rotates the Earth can take care of all your problems. As a Teacher you have to learn trust and faith. Regard every breath of life as a gift. Strive for conscious breathing, breathing one breath a minute.
15. The banner of a Teacher is: "In God I dwell." The standard of arms of a Teacher is: "God within me I trust." The honor of a Teacher is: "In the Name of God I serve." The motto of a Teacher is: "Peace of mind and peace within the material world."
16. A Teacher needs to commit to Nam, the God-given identity. Without Nam, you cannot have the purity of self and the divine projected grace to master all the elements.
Without commitment there is no character.
Without character there is no dignity.
Without dignity there is no divinity.
Without divinity there is no grace.
Without grace you cannot sacrifice or serve others. Your compassion and presence will not work and you cannot be happy.
Remember once and for all, happiness is your birthright and it is always right to be happy. So be happy, be healthy, and be holy.
We are all holy, because we all have nine holes. Adding two arms and two legs makes thirteen. You are born with thirteen, you will live with thirteen, you will die with thirteen. Thirteen (three and one) makes four—Cup of Prayer. Prayer is your power, your protector, and your provider.
© The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan
[Photo by Satsimran Kaur]