Your donation makes a difference! Your continued support and the belief in the mission of 3HO helps continue services that bring virtual opportunities for global connection through our website, educational tools such as online webinars and lifestyle support, and transformational events. Growth of our expanding global community is your legacy ̶ you can help people everywhere to be Healthy, Happy, and Holy!
You are here
Breath is the Place to Start
The first and last things we do in this physical lifetime are to take a breath. Along with oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide, the breath contains prana, the life force. We are regularly taught we can’t live without oxygen; it is also true we can’t live without prana, the vital force that energizes the mind, body, and consciousness.
Principles to Remember:
- Your rate of breathing and your state of mind are inseparable.
- The slower your rate of breathing, the more control you have over your mind.
- The mind follows the breath, and the body follows the mind.
The breath is a fundamental tool for the Kundalini Yoga student.The average rate of breathing for most people is about sixteen times per minute. When the rate of breathing increases, or if it becomes rapid and irregular, the mind also becomes disturbed and erratic.
Breath and Mind Connection
Why or how does the breath control the mind? When your mind is calm, meditative, and under your control, your rate of breathing will be slow, steady, and calm. By breathing slowly and steadily you will calm your mind. As you change your rate of breathing, you change your state of mind.
Of all the positive changes a person can make, learning to breath deeply and completely is probably the most effective tool for developing higher consciousness and for increasing health, vitality, and connectedness in one’s life.
You may also be interested in:
- The Voice of the Ego vs Your Intuition with "Meditation to Build Intuition"
- Pranayam to Boost Your Immune System
- Meditation for Becoming a Channel to Uplift Others in the Aquarian Age
- Pranayam—the Art of Self-Management: Meditation for Increased Energy and Meditation to Prevent Burnout
- Keep Up Video: The Meditative Mind
- Using Yoga to Breathe
- Balancing the Emotions by Balancing the Breath
- Meditation for Royalty in Service to the Divine
- Meditation of Change
- Stimulate Your Chakra System and Feel Wonderful
- 2 of 2