8-Week Curriculum of Kundalini Yoga for Grit and Keep Up Spirit
This 8-week series of classes is based upon the 3HO International Kundalini Yoga Teachers Association (IKYTA) Teacher's Conference theme for 2012, 'Grit.' And, who couldn't use a little more indomitable courage, toughness and resolution in dealing with all the challenges we're facing lately?!
'Grit' was originally chosen as a theme for the 2012 3H0 IKYTA Teacher's Conference from Yogi Bhajan's, 'The 8 Elements of Excellence.' It reads: "The 8 Elements of Excellence: The Vision to see your goal and keep it in your consciousness. The Courage to attempt it and to keep up. The Grit to go through it. The Humility to know who the Doer is. The Knowledge to substantiate it. The Prayer to feed it. The Grace to carry yourself through it. The Determination to achieve it." (In 2013 the Teachers Conference will focus on 'humility,' in 2014, 'knowledge,' and so on, until all 8 elements have been featured.)
To be honest, I was a little concerned about finding enough to fill an entire curriculum focusing on 'grit.' I worried about finding appropriate Yogi Bhajan quotes. I fretted about locating just the right kriyas to generate the capacity for 'grit.' And, how would I find the perfect meditations to develop the light of the soul--'grit?' Wouldn't you know that once I started teaching this series it seemed that wherever I looked-whatever manual I chose-whatever Yogi Bhajan lecture came across my desk--the word 'grit' was right there for me to discover, to use in my classes and to offer here for your use as well.
Each class includes one main kriya and one meditation. While this is not a definitive list of all the kriyas and meditations you could possibly use in a curriculum focusing on 'grit' it is my hope you will not only find inspiration with what is shared here but that you will teach this or a similar curriculum soon!
(suggested text for promotion) YOGA FOR GRIT AND 'KEEP UP' SPIRIT
Would you like to have the spirit, the power and the grit to 'keep up' with whatever life sends your way? Would you like to draw upon an unending reservoir of tenacity, bravery, fortitude and determination in the face of any challenge? If so, then, come to [Name of Studio] during the months of [Month] and [Month] for Kundalini Yoga and Meditation especially designed to help you: Surmount obstacles, real or imaginary; Overcome barriers, perceived or otherwise; Dissolve frustrations, today and always!
Join [Your Name/Studio Name] in an inspiring series of Kundalini Yoga and Meditation classes to 'Keep up and you will be kept up' even as you face the seemingly impossible. It is a test of your wisdom, your endurance and your character-a chance of grace-so you can make it anywhere!
CLASS ONE: MAKE THE IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE
Main Kriya: Immune Strengthening Workout (Inner Workout Manual, pp. 41-44).
Meditation: Gan Puttee Kriya to Make the Impossible Possible (Self-Knowledge, p. 20 and KRI Level 1 Yoga Manual, p. 94).
Class Timing: (approx.)
10:30 am: Welcome, tune-in and framing.
10:35 am: Main Kriya
11:20 am: Relaxation
11:55 am:End with the 'Long Time Sunshine Song' and 3 long Sat Nam's.
Three Key Concepts:
- 'Keep up' spirit is associated with the Radiant Body. The Radiant Body gives you so much stamina you'll never give in! It helps you persevere past any blockage or obstacle in your life.
- The Radiant Body is associated with Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Guru of the Sikhs. During his lifetime there was a great need for warriors to stay healthy and strong in the face of chaotic conditions. As Guru he united the Sikhs into a fearless force to defend those who couldn't defend themselves. (Guru Gobind Singh conditioned his warriors with exercises such as the ones in the main kriya.)
- Gun Puttee (or Gunpati) another name for Ganesha the Hindu archetype of knowledge and writing. Ganesha is often represented with a mouse at his feet. The mouse represents cleverness and the ability to get through any barriers or obstacles.
Three Key Skills/Practices:
- Archer Pose (and its variations) in the main kriya, Immune Strengthening Workout.
- Sa Ta Na Ma Ra Ma Da Sa Sa Say So Hung mantra in the meditation, Gun Puttee Kriya.
- The mudra moves as you chant the mantra in Gun Puttee Kriya.
CLASS TWO: THE SCIENCE OF KEEPING UP
WARM-UP:Build Stamina and Spark the Glandular System (Owner's Manual for the Human Body, p. 42); aka Complete Workout for the Elementary Being (Inner Workout Manual, p. 48).
MAIN KRIYA: Build up the Glandular System and Inner Organs (Owner's Manual for the Human Body, p. 41).
MEDITATION: Life Guideline (A Year with the Master, p. 69).
10:30 am:Tune-In and Welcome
10:35 am:Warm-Up Kriya
10:45 am: Main Kriya
11:25 am:Deep Relaxation
11:55 am: End with the Long Time Sunshine Song and 3 long Sat Nam's.
Three Key Concepts:
- Kundalini Yogis have daily practices to provide them with the grit to go through whatever life brings their way. One of these practices is self-initiating with a daily spiritual practice, or, personal sadhana. Your personal sadhana can be a set of yoga exercises (kriya) or a meditation ... or both. The idea is you get up, you set yourself up for the day and you'll be 'kept up' as a result. Yogi Bhajan once said: "Sadhana is a test of your self-grit. If your sadhana is more important than your neurosis, you are fine. If your neurosis is more important than your sadhana, you are not."
- Another daily practice is taking a cold shower first thing in the morning, before breakfast and before sadhana. The cold shower opens the capillaries. When the capillaries are open they feed the glandular system. And when the glandular system is well-fed, it secretes. Yogi Bhajan: "The chemistry of your blood becomes perfect. That gives you a capacity to act, think, know; and it gives you grit, stamina." (The Master's Touch, p. 172)
- "The highest mental power of a man is when he's willing to cope with a condition that is infinitely beyond his control. Still he faces it and faces it with the idea that he is going to come through it." - Yogi Bhajan (Self-Knowledge, p. 12.)
Three Key Skills/Practices:
- Archer Pose in the warm-up kriya, Build Stamina and Spark the Glandular System.
- Breath of Fire (BOF) in the main kriya, Build Up the Glandular System and Inner Organs.
- Chair Pose in the main kriya, Build Up the Glandular System and Inner Organs.