3HO on Facebook

go to kriteachings.org

Summer Solstice camping

Summer Solstice camping

Postby livjot » Wed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm

So...where is the best place to camp at Summer Solstice? ...and is it exposed, or protected up at the water tower camping area?

livjot

Spiritual Name: Livjot Kaur
Legal Name: Leslea Clarke

Re: Summer Solstice camping

Postby sunder » Wed May 02, 2012 5:25 pm

I have a really nice spot down in the valley that I usually get to every year. Down the hill, over the bridge, left at the first big ant hill and about 150 paces along the arroyo.

It's a bit of a hike but it's quiet, protected from the elements, and exceedingly pretty! I think I might try to be closer to the tantric shelter this year though so that I can make sadhana a little easier...

sunder
Site Admin

Spiritual Name: Sunder Singh

Postby navneetkaurchicago » Wed May 02, 2012 5:47 pm

I always love camping up the hill from the solstice tent for a shorter walk to Sadhana in the morning. It did get very windy last year and one night I had to move down the hill but many others did too. I think that was an unusual circumstance.

navneetkaurchicago

Spiritual Name: Navneet Kaur
Legal Name: Lisa DeLeo

Postby andrew_sirikartar » Sat May 05, 2012 10:12 am

Sat Nam,
last year I was up hill and I really enjoy camping there, I had some tent trouble with the wind but I think it was all part of the experience and I would do it again!

andrew_sirikartar

Spiritual Name: Siri Kartar Kaur
Legal Name: Andrea

Postby amarpreet » Mon May 07, 2012 11:12 am

sunder wrote:I have a really nice spot down in the valley that I usually get to every year. Down the hill, over the bridge, left at the first big ant hill and about 150 paces along the arroyo.

It's a bit of a hike but it's quiet, protected from the elements, and exceedingly pretty! I think I might try to be closer to the tantric shelter this year though so that I can make sadhana a little easier...

Ahh yes, I may trek into the valley this year because I'm looking for a bit more serenity. A majority of the participants that I've spoken too prefer tenting in the valley after trying up the hill and by the water tower. I admit that it's very nice being right next to the Tantric Shelter, it's very close and you can hear the music from your tent (if you choose to sleep in) but it's very noisy up there almost all night long...and windy last year, yes; let's hope it's not quite that windy this year.

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Postby nycyogagirl333 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 pm

sunder wrote:I have a really nice spot down in the valley that I usually get to every year. Down the hill, over the bridge, left at the first big ant hill and about 150 paces along the arroyo.

Ant hills? There are ant hills??? I have NEVER been camping before and I am quite terrified. I so want to come to Solstice, but camping freaks me out?? :)

nycyogagirl333

Spiritual Name: tej kaur

Postby pantrus » Tue May 08, 2012 12:47 pm

@nycyogagirl333 :

Ant hills? There are ant hills??? I have NEVER been camping before and I am quite terrified. I so want to come to Solstice, but camping freaks me out?? :)[/quote]

nycyogagirl It'll be my first time , and since I am part of the set/up crew I ll be there almost the whole month and camping , I am blessed to be at summer solstice since I am new to all this [ been practicing yoga for about 6 years but almost new to Kundalini , I used to practice elements of Kundalini but never a proper class till about a few weeks ago ] , and I can just say we have to trust , and we ll all be there to offer love and bless and be peaceful , and I think ants don t attack peaceful people [ fully peaceful in their souls people ] . . .

jokes aside Summer Solstice is been happening for 40 years , or close to , everything will be safe and they will give you all the advice , and probably there will be no ants or they will tell you where to build your tent in a safe place .... but the most important thing , never be terrify about anything , camping will be easy if your heart is happy ! ! Come to Summer Solstice Sadhana Celebration to be safe , practice , believe and trust , they know what they are doing . And count on me if you need something as I will count on you and all ! !

Peace , Namaste and Blessings

Pantrus

pantrus

Postby nycyogagirl333 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:00 pm

pantrus wrote:@nycyogagirl333 :

Ant hills? There are ant hills??? I have NEVER been camping before and I am quite terrified. I so want to come to Solstice, but camping freaks me out?? :)

nycyogagirl It'll be my first time , and since I am part of the set/up crew I ll be there almost the whole month and camping , I am blessed to be at summer solstice since I am new to all this [ been practicing yoga for about 6 years but almost new to Kundalini , I used to practice elements of Kundalini but never a proper class till about a few weeks ago ] , and I can just say we have to trust , and we ll all be there to offer love and bless and be peaceful , and I think ants don t attack peaceful people [ fully peaceful in their souls people ] . . .

jokes aside Summer Solstice is been happening for 40 years , or close to , everything will be safe and they will give you all the advice , and probably there will be no ants or they will tell you where to build your tent in a safe place .... but the most important thing , never be terrify about anything , camping will be easy if your heart is happy ! ! Come to Summer Solstice Sadhana Celebration to be safe , practice , believe and trust , they know what they are doing . And count on me if you need something as I will count on you and all ! !

Peace , Namaste and Blessings

Pantrus[/quote]
Pantrus,
Thank you very much. I think I was exaggerating a bit about being terrified. A little nervous but I'll adapt. thank you for your kind words and I am actually looking forward to Summer Solstice. I can't wait to dance, sing, meditate, do yoga and meet new friends from all over the world.

Hopefully, I'll make it this year and I'll have a chance to meet you.

Sat Nam!!!

nycyogagirl333

Spiritual Name: tej kaur

Postby sunder » Wed May 09, 2012 10:43 am

Ah yes the red ants. New Mexico has a challenging climate. I got bit on the foot by one of those ants as I was starting the peace prayer walk one year. It hurt for about 2 hours. But that was the only time I got bit by one of them.

Keep your tent zippered and you'll keep the bugs out. There's not a problem, otherwise. Also, stake your tent down or spread your luggage out to the corners... I've seen tents blow away even with suitcases in them.

If you're from new york, you might appreciate that there are no ticks, poison ivy or thorns up there!

sunder
Site Admin

Spiritual Name: Sunder Singh

Postby amarpreet » Wed May 09, 2012 10:59 am

There is a first aid tent with competent and experienced medical professionals, including doctors, who are on staff if there is a medical situation. I've never known anyone personally to have a serious medical issue/problem, but I know that they will call an ambulance if needed. I'd imagine the medical evac hellacopters also have access to the area if needed, but again I've never heard of a need for that so far.

The elements are somewhat harsh - it's dusty, rocky, and somewhat thorny, but I've personally never had a problem with ants or other bugs....It's usually the dry air and dust that gets on my nerves at times.

Wahe Guru, Amarpreet

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Return to General