3HO on Facebook

go to kriteachings.org

Cold Showers

Vegetarian diet, clothing, covering the head, sleep, hydrotherapy, etc

Cold Showers

Postby GuruDevkaur » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:56 pm

This has been my biggest challenge in my mornin sadhana--being showered with cold water at 4am. How do i get the courage to just jump in??
:roll:

GuruDevkaur

Re: Cold Showers

Postby sunder » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:06 pm

It helps, especially in winter, to run the hot water first and get the room warm and steamy before you go in.

sunder
Site Admin

Spiritual Name: Sunder Singh

Postby amarpreet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 am

What about up on the mountain at Ram Das Puri? No steam there at 4AM, and sometimes the temps outside are in the 40's at that time of the morning! :?

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Postby mintgreen » Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm

I got used to cold showers gradually. You could start by getting your arms, neck and/or legs wet instead of jumping in. Or, not use ice cold water at first, but a little bit colder than normally.
I take proper showers in the evening, so in the mornings I don't spend much time under cold water... but enough to make me feel good and giggle after that :)

mintgreen

Postby amarpreet » Thu May 10, 2012 4:32 pm

I've heard that a quick rubdown with almond oil is a good idea...Anyone??

amarpreet

Postby SimiritAnandSingh » Sat May 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Sat Nam
Cold showers are cleansing and invigorating. Almond oil is very healthy, Soothing Touch offers a body oil called "Muscle Comfort" with almond oil & an ayurvedic blend of 5 other carrier oils with essential oils such as arnica, juniper berry, thyme, clove, peppermint, eucalyptus and more - it creates a subtle heat, taking time to thoroughly massage the oils into the skin is good. This helps allot.

Breathing in Wah exhaling Guru with the navel I go all in. Massaging the cold water into my arms, shoulders, chest, legs after a few minutes the water is the same temperature though the water feels GREAT! Continuing to breathe in wah exhale guru I get the peppermint Dr. Bronner's magic soap and the loofah, lather up, loofah scrub and rinse.

In the Sikh tradition it's known as Ishnaan & at the Harmander Sahib, Golden Temple in Amritsar volunteers perform Ishnaan Seva during the Amrit Vela (Ambrosial Hour) for the Harmander Sahib, with pure milk followed with cold water cleaning the inside of the GurDarbar (Guru's court) its a tradition. Har (God) Mander (Temple) - when taking a cold shower (Ishnaan) in the morning you can remember: WE are all individually & collectively a temple, our body, is designed as an abode for that formless God, in every cell abides Wahe Guru. Creating the experience of the cold shower to be Ishnaan Seva for your Golden Temple, puts a wholly other perspective upon the experience.

SimiritAnandSingh

Postby Mecler » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 pm

I love it, It is really tough but enjoyable practice. If you overcome your fear once a time, you will enjoy it next time. Stay motivated mate.

Mecler

Postby amarpreet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:55 am

Mecler wrote:I love it, It is really tough but enjoyable practice. If you overcome your fear once a time, you will enjoy it next time. Stay motivated mate.

YEAH!

amarpreet

Return to 3HO Lifestyle