3HO on Facebook

go to kriteachings.org

KY to heal the back?

New to Kundalini Yoga or been doing it for years and have questions, ideas, comments?

KY to heal the back?

Postby akaljas » Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 pm

I recently came across a workshop posting online for healing the back with KY and I was wondering if anyone knows of any resources for this type of kriya. I'm familiar with using Viniyoga and Yoga Therapy to help people with sensitive backs or back injuries but I've never come across any Kundalini resources. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time!

akaljas

Spiritual Name: Akaljas
Legal Name: Vanice Medley

Re: KY to heal the back?

Postby amarpreet » Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 am

Sat Nam Akaljas! Wahe Guru, you have touched on one of my favorite uses for Kundalini yoga - awakening my sensitive and injury prone back! Before I suggest any kriyas or asanas, I would suggest that you visit a doctor and get some advice about whether you should be doing any exercises at all... Assuming that you have done that already and you know that you are ready for some stretching and/or movement, the first thing to remember is that there is a HUGE difference between gentle pressure and raw pain :oops: , so go very easy on yourself!

Could you describe the type of back sensations that you are experiencing? What is your experience with Kundalini yoga? A face-to-face consultation with a trusted Kundalini yoga teacher or instructor might be the best advice I could give for you, but I'd love to hear what you are doing already to care for your back. Thanks!! ~Amarpreet

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Postby akaljas » Thu May 03, 2012 10:57 am

Sat nam amarpreet. im a certified ky teacher. I dont have back issues but was looking for teaching resources to use with my students. Thanks!

akaljas

Postby amarpreet » Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 pm

akaljas wrote:Sat nam amarpreet. im a certified ky teacher. I dont have back issues but was looking for teaching resources to use with my students. Thanks!

Oh, my bad - I misinterpreted the context obviously. I assume that you know about Spinal Flex, Cat Cow, and Life Nerve Stretch - those are my very favorites... But you are talking about other specific kriyas or sets of kriyas? I'll do some research. :)

amarpreet

Postby sandraann » Fri May 04, 2012 7:17 am

Sat Nam! I am also a KY teacher and would appreciate comments on kriyas and pranayam useful for healing back pain.
The other question I have is how do we guide students who have back pain once they have consulted with their doctor. I have had students who have dropped out of class because the movements have aggravated their back pain. One student said she was not able to discern when she was pushing herself too hard and thus ended up inflaming her back muscles/nerves. So how can these type of people be guided and helped to become more aware of the degree of their capacity?
Siri Sevak Kaur

sandraann

Spiritual Name:
Legal Name: Sandra Ann Briand Quinn

Postby amarpreet » Fri May 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Sat Nam Y'all,

Thanks so much for the questions! This is a very important subject to me also. I want to take this up the chain of command and get some Kundalini teacher trainers & solid professionals to give us all some advice in this forum on this matter. Stay tuned while I do some recruiting!

Thanks,

Amarpreet

amarpreet

Postby sunder » Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Hm I'm pretty sure Jivan Joti Kaur teaches modifications to numerous kriyas for doing them in a chair. That might help? She's got some books out with the modified kriyas in them.

sunder
Site Admin

Spiritual Name: Sunder Singh

Postby jorgesantos » Sun May 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi Sat Nam from Portugal

did you saw the Heal Your Back Now! Book from Nirvair Singh Khalsa ?
I was working on Kundalini Yoga for scoliosis and I saw this book very interesting, take a look and say something.

Hugs

jorgesantos

Spiritual Name:
Legal Name: Jorge Santos

Postby kamaljot_love » Sun May 06, 2012 8:52 pm

this is a great topic for me! I have a bad back and have been on hold from any exercise for a few weeks, even to include yoga. I miss it so much. But, I do what I'm told to get better!!!

kamaljot_love

Spiritual Name: Kamaljot Kaur

Postby akaljas » Mon May 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks Amarpreet! Those particular postures you mentioned are too intense for someone with back pain or injuries in my experience. Thank you for taking the time to look into more specific kriyas or modified resources.

Thank you Sunder and Jorge for those recommendations! I will check them both out. :) Sat Nam

akaljas

Next

Return to Kundalini Yoga