3HO on Facebook

go to kriteachings.org

mung beans and rice

mung beans and rice

Postby sunder » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 pm

I remember my first summer solstice... I was so excited to go, I wanted everything to be perfect. So I dove head first into the solstice diet.

It's not an easy transition from the monodiet of cookies that I was on...

But I made it almost all the way through. Unfortunately I'm _still_ sick of mung beans and rice, several years later. I don't even try to go on the solstice diet anymore, what with oatmeal and popcorn readily available. And now I live in New Mexico... forget about it... I'll be running home for Trader Joe's ice cream between classes.

sunder
Site Admin

Spiritual Name: Sunder Singh

Re: mung beans and rice

Postby Paramatma19 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:07 pm

:D I love the mung beans and rice and can't eat anything else while at Solstice, otherwise my stomach feels sick. It does get a little old eating it everyday but it feels so good and digests so beautifully.

Paramatma19

Postby Panther » Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 am

Only 43 more days until the best week of the summer!

Panther

Postby amarpreet » Wed May 02, 2012 1:45 pm

If I understand correctly, the diet is meant to be a cleansing diet with a higher alkalinity, is that correct? I don't understand the exact physiology, so if anyone would like to chime in about that I'd appreciate it. :P

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Postby sunder » Wed May 02, 2012 2:05 pm

amarpreet wrote:If I understand correctly, the diet is meant to be a cleansing diet with a higher alkalinity, is that correct? I don't understand the exact physiology, so if anyone would like to chime in about that I'd appreciate it. :P

Jai Dev wrote a great article about his Ayurvedic perspective on our diet. I think that might help answer your questions: http://www.3ho.org/ecommunity/2012/04/f ... tice-diet/

sunder
Site Admin

Spiritual Name: Sunder Singh

Postby cosminlv » Thu May 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Counting the days! The highlight of the year. Again!

cosminlv

Spiritual Name:
Legal Name: cosmin dumitru

Postby inactive30546 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:12 am

A mono diet is a great opportunity to observe our desires and attachments - I thought it would be an issue for me the first time I went to a festival but the thing I really craved was a good shower (with hot water :D )

inactive30546

Spiritual Name: Atamjeet Kaur

Postby Parvati-Kaur » Sun May 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Sat Nam!
I have a question. Perhaps this has something to do with the diet? I have trouble with feeling achy all over during Solstice. It does come and go, and I do not think it is because of sleeping in the tent. I have an air matress and it is quite comfy and I have no problem falling asleep. Does anyone else have this problem, and is there a way to overcome it? It makes it extremely hard to get through White Tantric. In fact, I did not do White Tantric at all last summer, I just did tons of seva! I really would like the experience of White Tantric for this special 2012 Solstice, but the time that I did do White Tantric I felt awful for my partners because they had to deal with me fidgeting and stretching all the time because of stiffness and pain. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Parvati-Kaur

Spiritual Name: Parvati Kaur Khalsa

Postby amarpreet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Parvati-Kaur wrote:Sat Nam!
I have a question. Perhaps this has something to do with the diet? I have trouble with feeling achy all over during Solstice. It does come and go, and I do not think it is because of sleeping in the tent. I have an air matress and it is quite comfy and I have no problem falling asleep. Does anyone else have this problem, and is there a way to overcome it? It makes it extremely hard to get through White Tantric. In fact, I did not do White Tantric at all last summer, I just did tons of seva! I really would like the experience of White Tantric for this special 2012 Solstice, but the time that I did do White Tantric I felt awful for my partners because they had to deal with me fidgeting and stretching all the time because of stiffness and pain. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Goodness! Just now seeing this... I wonder if you have a magnesium deficiency that is making you so achy? I get quite achy, and I bring ibuprofen for that, but I too want to find a better way. I've been using magnesium at night to deal with restless legs, and it works great! Be careful, though, because it will encourage bowel movements. I'm comforted to know that it's not just me who is so fidgety! I'll bet that the camp doctors at the First Aid station would also have some good ideas - I'm gonna head over there at some point - maybe I'll see you there!

Sat Nam, Amarpreet

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Return to General