3HO on Facebook

go to kriteachings.org

A bit overwhelmed!! Any advice on air travel packing?!

A bit overwhelmed!! Any advice on air travel packing?!

Postby frankiemanzi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Sat Nam everyone!

It's my first solstice, and having not managed to find a ride I'm resorting to flying. I've camped only once in my life and I can't fathom how you can fly with a tent, sleeping bag, tools to put said tent together with, plates, cutlery, flashlight, air mattress, pump, 17 pairs of white yoga pants (ok not really, but you catch my drift!!) etc etc....does anyone have any tips on what kind of sleeping bag to get, what bags/suitcases to buy that fit everything in but that are also allowed on the plane given size/weight restrictions etc?!

Any words of wisdom at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks & love,

Frankie

frankiemanzi

Re: A bit overwhelmed!! Any advice on air travel packing?!

Postby amarpreet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:51 am

Hello! Sorry that I'm just now replying - this was tucked away and I missed it somehow.

The best, most simple advice I can give is to bring two large suitcases or dufflebags with wheels - wheels are essential because they are going to be fairly heavy and bulky. 30-inch long suitcases are what I aim for. In terms of packing, you want to keep the weight of each suitcase below 50 pounds, so you have to distribute the weight between the two suitcases. For example, I have my tent, small sleeping bag, blow up mattress, plastic air pump, and one small bowl/utencils in one bag. In the other bag I put my clothes, sheep skin, and Zafu sitting pad (for long tantric days). Oh, and one bag for carry on - water bottle, medications, cell phone, and other essential items can go in there. You also can carry on one personal item (purse size). *Make sure that you pack liquids over 3 ounces in your checked-in baggage, and put lotions and liquids in a sealable plastic bag or it will leak all over everything.

I know that I left some things out, but that is the basic idea - just pack and repack until you find a scheme that works; it's amazing how much you can pack if you get creative with the way you pack things! Oh, and a word about sleeping bags: I use a fairly lightweight one because it's not going to get below about 45 degrees, and on those cooler nights just wear some sweatpants, a long sleeve shirt, and some socks to stay warm. You can really squash a sleeping bag into a small ball with the right attitude!

Good luck! You can do it!!

Wahe Guru x's 3,

Amarpreet

Ps: Make sure that you browse over the Ultimate Solsctice Packing list for more ideas!

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Postby frankiemanzi » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:35 am

Sat nam Amarpreet!

Thank you so much! I am going to do it - I WILL get a sleeping bag in to a tiny ball, haha! I'm actually considering taking the train from LA to Albuquerque now, thought it might be a bit of an adventure! I haven't decided yet, but that would mean I get to bring three 36 x 36 x 36 bags. Not that I want to take 3 of course, but it does take the pressure off somewhat!

I did previously look over that ultimate list - wow it's amazingly thorough! Can you really get all of that into 2 bags?! ;-)

Just as an aside, I was wondering - are people usually friendly & helpful enough to help a gal who has no idea about such things to pitch her tent...?!

Many thanks again,

Blessings & love,

Frankie

frankiemanzi

Postby amarpreet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:47 am

Oh YES, everyone is very helpful with helping! That's what we are there for! And you really should consider how much you can move along in one trip; in other words, three bags might not be wise because you only have two hands. And a word about the packing list - I don't bring all of those items, but I might if I was driving and not taking a plane... Never fear, if you forget something you can stop by Hospitalitiy to see if they have something for you to borrow.

Remember to enjoy the process - even the challenges can be humorous and fun. Some of the best things that happen to me are accidents - rarely do things go by my own design, and in fact work out better when I get out of the way haha!

Amarpreet

amarpreet

Postby frankiemanzi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:04 am

Thank you Amarpreet! Your replies have been so helpful & made me feel a lot better! I will bear all of that in mind when preparing!

Just a couple of other questions, if you don't mind! (Gosh you must be super busy just on this site alone! ;-) My friend who goes most years said something to me about turning up and paying when you arrive - I haven't bought my ticket yet, and I was wondering if this is an option? And secondly, he said that even if you pay full price for a ticket you still get assigned to an area of seva, is that correct? I'm just wondering if I should apply for service exchange or just buy a regular ticket. I'm happy to work there but I'm just wondering whether doing 6 hours a day will take away from the experience of the rest of it.

Many thanks once again, and sat nam!

Francesca

frankiemanzi

Postby amarpreet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:30 am

Yeah, you can wait and pay at the registration trailer when you arrive, but I would advise taking care of that before you leave because it makes it sooooo much quicker when you arrive...It can be a little bit of a pain to just show up and pay because there can be a long wait, and it's a longer process in person. And yes, everyone is assigned a Karma Yoga activity - you get to choose, but it's first come, first serve, so you may just have to take what's left. If you want a service exchange position then you better jump on that today because they are filling up quick! I'm working with the Peace Prayer Day team - very excited about that. I've worked in Luggage Crew and Registration in the past; those positions are full I think.

Hope that helps! See you soon, Amarpreet :)

amarpreet

Postby sunder » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Just wanted to chime in on a couple of things...

Re: sleeping back, < 45 degrees.

I don't know how cold it gets in temperature, but I've gotten miserably cold up there in a sleeping bag rated for 40 degrees.

Take whatever you need to be comfortable waking up at 3 am in a tent and putting on a turban or whatever you wear when it's dark and cold.

And regarding service exchange... IMO solstice is about three things: sadhana, sangat and seva. So I do not think that registering for service exchange will lessen the experience for you. You'll find that you tend to bond the most with the people you're working with, anyway, so it will be nice spending 6 hours a day with them!

sunder
Site Admin

Spiritual Name: Sunder Singh

Postby Josefina Fateh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm so glad I found this forum!! I was literally going nuts over preparing for this. It will be my first one and I am going with my 10 year old daughter and my 6 year old boy. We are going from Chicago and by train. It's already an adventure, just thinking about it and trying to get over the anxiety is an experience already. We are working on a list of items to pack. WOW!! any suggestions?

Josefina Fateh

Spiritual Name: Fateh Kaur
Legal Name: Josefina Leautaud

Postby amarpreet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Josefina Fateh wrote:I'm so glad I found this forum!! I was literally going nuts over preparing for this. It will be my first one and I am going with my 10 year old daughter and my 6 year old boy. We are going from Chicago and by train. It's already an adventure, just thinking about it and trying to get over the anxiety is an experience already. We are working on a list of items to pack. WOW!! any suggestions?

Sat Nam Josefina/Fateh! You should check out the discussion entitled "The ULTIMATE Solstice Packing List" for suggestions. I personally don't bring all of those things, but pretty much all of those suggestions are useful if you can manage. For someone like me who flies rather than drives, I have to be a bit choosy with what I bring, but you might be surprised what you can stuff into a large dufflebag with wheels. Let me know if you have any specific questions after you take a look at the list. Scan through the comments there, and you may find the answer, or leave your question there and I will try and get to it promptly.

Thanks, and Wahe Guru,

Amarpreet

amarpreet

Return to General