3HO on Facebook

go to kriteachings.org

Best tents for Summer Solstice

Best tents for Summer Solstice

Postby nycyogagirl333 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:47 am

styles/abbcode/images/bold.gif
Hi this will be my first time camping. Can someone recommend a tent that is light weight but will withstand the harsh weather. I am at a lost. thanks

nycyogagirl333

Spiritual Name: tej kaur

Re: Best tents for Summer Solstice

Postby amarpreet » Thu May 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Good question!! I bought my tent at Academy, and it works just fine, but I have to purchase some better tent stakes because the ones that come with most tents are useless in the rugged, desert terrain of Ram Das Puri. Those thick, yellow tent stakes (or something similar) seem to work pretty well - really anything with some teeth. Make sure you bring a hammer or mallet for hammering in the tent stakes. You can shop REI if you want something a bit more durable, but I've found that my $80 Academy tent works just fine as long as I stake it down good! Oh, and I prefer one that I can stand up in - makes all the difference when getting dressed.

Make sure you browse the Ultimate Solstice Packing List for more ideas!!

Bless,
Amarpreet

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Postby nycyogagirl333 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:10 pm

amarpreet wrote:Good question!! I bought my tent at Academy, and it works just fine, but I have to purchase some better tent stakes because the ones that come with most tents are useless in the rugged, desert terrain of Ram Das Puri. Those thick, yellow tent stakes (or something similar) seem to work pretty well - really anything with some teeth. Make sure you bring a hammer or mallet for hammering in the tent stakes. You can shop REI if you want something a bit more durable, but I've found that my $80 Academy tent works just fine as long as I stake it down good! Oh, and I prefer one that I can stand up in - makes all the difference when getting dressed.

Make sure you browse the Ultimate Solstice Packing List for more ideas!!

Bless,
Amarpreet

Thanks

nycyogagirl333

UPDATE: tent stakes/pegs

Postby amarpreet » Sat May 19, 2012 10:51 am

After some careful (and ongoing) research, I've found some pretty good tent stakes/pegs that should withstand the abuse that they will take being hammered into sand, pebbles, and rock: they are called the Ground Hog Stake.

Here is a link:
http://www.rei.com/product/682543/msr-ground-hog-stake

They are not the cheapest, but trust me, you don't want the cheapest stakes!

Bless,

Amarpreet

amarpreet

Postby nycyogagirl333 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:01 am

Can camping equipment be stored at the SS camping site?

nycyogagirl333

Postby amarpreet » Tue May 22, 2012 11:11 am

nycyogagirl333 wrote:Can camping equipment be stored at the SS camping site?

No. Everything brought in must be packed and carried back out. The best invention for transporting a large amount of stuff is a wheeled piece of luggage. I use two large, wheeled pieces of luggage. Best to do a dry run to see what fits and the best way to fit it all into two bags. You can use more pieces of luggage, but it will just make it more difficult to wheel around an airport (if you're driving then it's not as much of an issue). Also, be careful about keeping your luggage under 50 pounds if you are flying because the airlines will charge you extra. I've been looking at a 30-inch long wheeled dufflebag by Ful - it looks really cool, and a pretty decent deal at Target for around $80. http://www.target.com/p/ful-Orange-30-D ... tailbutton :)

amarpreet

Postby sunder » Thu May 24, 2012 10:09 am

I know a lot of people like to be able to stand up in their tents. I think that style is called "Cabin tent." The smallest one I found, a couple of years ago, had a 10'x10' footprint. That's the size of my kitchen. So they're pretty large.

This year I'm going to get a hammock.

But if I was going to get a tent, it would be a tarp tent. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but they just look amazing. http://www.tarptent.com/ Should be easy to fit into your luggage!

sunder
Site Admin

Spiritual Name: Sunder Singh

Postby amarpreet » Thu May 24, 2012 11:57 am

Those look pretty cool Sunder!

By the way, I'm finding many of the items that I'm looking for at Target and Academy - the same items that are often marked up by REI.

Amapreet

amarpreet

Postby australiablackswans » Mon May 28, 2012 12:53 pm

We are Chinese brothers Wesley and Calvin we are looking for a tent to join it during the retreat, will pay the necessary fees

Wes and Cal

australiablackswans

Legal Name: Yu Pui Ng

Postby amarpreet » Mon May 28, 2012 8:33 pm

australiablackswans wrote:We are Chinese brothers Wesley and Calvin we are looking for a tent to join it during the retreat, will pay the necessary fees

Wes and Cal

Sat Nam Wes and Cal,

I believe that the tents have all been accounted for, but there might be another option for you - please check here to see if you qualify for any of these options: http://www.3ho.org/summer-solstice/travel/stay/

Thanks, Amarpreet

amarpreet

Next

Return to General