3HO on Facebook

go to kriteachings.org

The ULTIMATE Solstice Packing List

The ULTIMATE Solstice Packing List

Postby amarpreet » Tue May 15, 2012 12:23 pm

It is essential to bring certain things with you for a comfortable Summer Solstice Sadhana Celebration experience. Although a list of items may vary from person to person, and some things are essential, what is the ULTIMATE Solstice packing list?? I'll be happy to hear some of your suggestions, but for now, here is one such list from Sat Nam Kaur of Austin, Texas. Thanks SNK!

The Virgos Packing List for Summer Solstice by Sat Nam Kaur
Yes I actually bring all this stuff
(Well, most of it )

• Tent- I like one big enough to stand in
• Tent stakes and rubber mallet
• Tarp for under tent
• Floor Mat to protect inside tent – also helps with clean up when breaking down camp
• Mini tent broom and dustpan
• Sleeping bag
• Pillow
• Thermorest or other padding
• Extra blanket for extra cold nights
• Heavy woven doormat- for outside tent door to scrap dirt or mud off shoes (about $2.00 at Garden Ridge)
• Extra mat or towel- for inside tent door to catch extra dirt/mud and leave shoes
• Tent Light/ Lantern
• Flashlight-extra batteries
• Water Bottle- with a strap is convenient for carrying around camp
• Eating utensils, Bowl for AM soup, plate and silverware (I like to get plastic with snap-on lids.. Purists may prefer metal dishes).
• Portable Clothing Rack---(I don’t bring this anymore)
• Yoga Mat- Tantric shelter is concrete
• Woven Beach Mat-to put under your mat and/or sheepskin for yoga classes on the grass/dirt/rocks
• Sheepskin- if looking to buy, stop in Santa Fe at the Overland Sheepskin Co. for $55-65
• Or expect to pay $70-90 at the solstice bazaar
• Tantric Days- the tantric shelter is concrete so take whatever padding/pillows/cushions you will need to sit all those hours.
• Sunglasses
• Sunscreen
• Sunburn ointment
• Natural non-aerosol Insect Repellant
• Lip Balm
• Shower and bath toiletries
• Bag or plastic crate- to carry your stuff to the showers
• Flip flops- for showering on gravel
• Almond oil and shower shorts- to make those cold showers easier
• Towels/ washcloths
• Toilet paper-Ladies, when you need to pee outside your tent at night
• Paper towels
• Grocery store baggies- for tent trash
• Dr. Bronners liquid soap- for hand washing clothes if needed and 17 other uses
• Clothes: I like to have clean change of clothes for each day
• Comfortable loose cotton clothes- for every day yoga classes and workshops
• Warm clothes for cold early sadhana mornings: layers works best
• Sweat pants and sweat shirt
• Warm jacket or Fleece Pullover
• Thermal underwear for really cold nights and mornings
• Knit cap or scarf
• 3 days white cotton clothes for White Tantric days
• Secure white head covering for Tantric- Turban, bandana, cap, hat, or scarf
• You may want some nicer/ modest clothes if going to Gurdwara on Sunday
• Swimsuit for going to Ojo Caliente or 10,000 Waves in Santa Fe
• Rain Jacket/poncho
• Compact umbrella
• Good sturdy walking shoes: athletic shoes or hiking boots- A must for the 3rd day of Tantric- Blind walk is through the prickly scrub brush/cactus
• Rugged Water/Land sandals like Tevas or Chacos- expect that they will get wet
• Laundry Bag
• Spray Water Bottle-To spray turban fabric for folding and to spray wrinkles out of clothes

• Other Essentials:

• Alarm Clock
• Back Pack or Tote Bag- to carry all your gear/ eating utensils around camp
• Warm Shawl for Sadhana
• IPOD and charger
• Cell phone and charger
• Blank Notebook for classes/ Pens
• Snacks –dried fruit, trail mix, energy bars, etc…
• Camera
• Daily Vitamins and supplements
• E-mer-gen-C’s- if you don’t like the camp’s electrolyte
• Herbal Energy Supplements- for long days
• Rescue Remedy- you’ll need it or someone else will
• Lavender Essential oil- for any skin condition
• Tea Tree Oil
• Arinca Crème
• Ear Plugs it noisy around campgrounds
• Pumice stone and Crack Creme if wearing sandals- it’s dry, hot and dusty there and cracked heels are common and painful. Crack Crème is the best and available at most pharmacies and at Walmart.
• Moisturizer-dry cracked face and body is no fun
• Natural baby wipes
• Hat or cap. I take a hat and also have started using my umbrella to walk around the site during the day.
• Stamps
• Journal
• Nitman- Sikh prayer book
• Extra Large plastic garbage bags- I put around the bottom of all my tent things/luggage and have saved my stuff from getting ruined when the tent flooded out from torrential rain.
• Ladies only- your moon cycle essentials
• Roll of Quarters- to do laundry if your staying longer after solstice
• Portable Clothesline and Pins- for drying out laundry items by your tent
• Peace Prayer Walk Offering- (optional) Gifts for the 3 altars. I’ve seen a huge variety of items: Flowers, herbs, American Spirit Tobacco, Poems, fruit, jewelry, small pictures or photos, Small handcrafted items, money, rocks, feathers, crystals, beads etc…

• Extra Money for:

• Solstice Bazaar Store Snacks- they sell Natural soft drinks, popcorn, potato chips, fresh vegetable juices, frozen treats, Whaguru Chews, plus there is are new vendors selling salads-vegan fare. The Ginger Tantric drink on tantric days is refreshing. And new is the Divine Bliss people with raw vegan yummies-coconut 0r raw cocoa iced drinks—yumm but pricey.
• Ojo Caliente or 10,000 Waves in Santa Fe
• Healers at the Bazaar- Some of the best healers in 3HO are here at solstice and available to assist in any crisis or transformational shift you may experience.
• Ancient Healing Ways Solstice Store- Kundalini Yoga Manuals, CD’s, etc…
• Lots and lots of things are available at the Bazaar that you can’t easily get anywhere else: Turbans and other head covering options, turban pins, kirpans, nitnams, posters, karas, kangas, sikh/yoga clothing, jewelry, tee-shirts, yoga mats, sheepskins, crystals, malas, aromatherapy products and lots lots more.
• Traditional offering - when bowing to the Guru at Gurdwara.
• Going to eat New Mexican food in Espanola and Santa Fe. A must after eating mung beans and rice all week plus it will ground you for your trip home. My favs are Matilda’s and Joanne’s in Espanola and The Guadalupe Café and La Choza’s in Santa Fe. Body in Santa Fe is a new favorite—vegetarian/ raw or vegan fare. Also, Annapurna’s for veggie fare.

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Re: The ULTIMATE Solstice Packing List

Postby pantrus » Tue May 15, 2012 1:00 pm

wow ! ! i was waiting for something like this , some more ideas i didn t think of ! thank you !

pantrus

Postby amarpreet » Wed May 16, 2012 11:19 am

Sat Nam Kaur always drives to the site, so that makes it a bit more realistic bringing so much stuff. I bring most of those things except for the laundry rack (which would be very useful indeed!), and I use an inflatable twin mattress from Academy (there are small hand pumps that you can purchase that are essential - I sleep like a baby). You would be surprised how everything fits into two large (30+ inch long) suitcases with wheels if you pack carefully. I fly in to Albuquerque from Austin... Be careful to distribute the weight evenly between the two suitcases otherwise you will be charged extra if your luggage weighs more than 50 pounds per bag.

amarpreet

Postby amarpreet » Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 am

Oh, and I'm going to purchase some tent stakes - either the yellow plastic ones or some red metal ones with teeth in them that I saw at Target because those dinky round metal stakes that come with most tents are practically useless in the desert mountain terrain. I can't tell you how many of those things I've bent trying to hammer them into the sand and rock! I had been using big rocks and suitcases in each corner of the tent instead of nailing the tent down, but that didn't work last summer when the winds came - the winds simply lifted my tent up and battered it around, and I was left with large holes in the bottom of my tent (can be sewn or duct taped - I'm not buying a new tent yet!). The best, most stable tents were fully staked down in each corner, along the side holes of the bottom of the tent, and with the extra tent lines that stretch and pull each wall outward. Those tents held up great, so that's what I'm doing this year. Hopefully it won't be as windy (last summer the theme was the Air Tattva - go figure!!).

Wahe Guru, Wahe Guru, Wahe Guru,

Amarpreet

amarpreet

Postby nycyogagirl333 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:54 pm

what's the night time average temp? Haven't bought my ticket yet, but I'm trying to get my costs in order. thanks

nycyogagirl333

Spiritual Name: tej kaur

Postby amarpreet » Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm

nycyogagirl333 wrote:what's the night time average temp? Haven't bought my ticket yet, but I'm trying to get my costs in order. thanks

It can get quite cool at night - sometimes down into the low 40's (not always), especially right as the sun is coming up. I suggest bringing layers that you can peel off. Something with a hood is useful. Also, you never know - we could get rain, so make sure you bring a pancho or light rain coat; you can wear warm stuff under it if needed. It can be 90+ degrees during the day and then cool off quickly after sundown to jacket weather due to the low humidity!

Hope that helps! Sat Nam,

Amarpreet

amarpreet

Postby sunder » Thu May 24, 2012 10:00 am

I always forget a ton of stuff.

Notably plates and forks, something to drink out of, shampoo...

But I live here now. So I can just run home if I need something :D

Planning on bringing a jungle hammock up there this year instead of a tent. We'll see how that goes.

sunder
Site Admin

Spiritual Name: Sunder Singh

Postby nycyogagirl333 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:52 am

Where can you charge your cell phone? Do the vendors take credit cards?

nycyogagirl333

Spiritual Name: tej kaur

Postby drkaren1489 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:48 am

This list answered a lot of questions. Thank you and Sat Nam!

drkaren1489

Spiritual Name: Siri Prakash

Postby amarpreet » Sun May 27, 2012 6:06 pm

nycyogagirl333 wrote:Where can you charge your cell phone? Do the vendors take credit cards?

I would suggest taking your device to Hospitality for recharging. Although you may find outlets elsewhere, you run the risk of someone swiping it if you wander off and leave it to charge. This hasn't happened to anyone I know yet, but there is always that chance/risk.

amarpreet

Next

Return to General