3HO on Facebook

go to kriteachings.org

Keeping a Yoga Journal

New to Kundalini Yoga or been doing it for years and have questions, ideas, comments?

Keeping a Yoga Journal

Postby amarpreet » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:36 am

Originally published for the Spirit Voyage blog on 2/8/2011; slightly revised. ~Amarpreet

I want to get the most out of the time that I devote to my daily practice, and I want to be able to recognize when I am making progress or getting the results that I seek. Keeping a yoga journal is an important part of processing my expanding awareness while practicing Kundalini yoga. By writing down my intentions for each practice, and logging my yoga and meditation experiences, thoughts, and feelings, I hope to identify wanted and unwanted thinking and behaviors. Sometimes difficult memories or emotions arise, and putting pen to paper allows for a full purging of those feelings.

Some of the reasons why keeping a yoga journal is an effective tool:
Meditation and yoga releases emotions. A yoga journal helps me process feelings so that I don't carry around worry, fear, anger, or resentment. The terrific thing about meditation is that I am processing difficult emotions on my time rather than throughout the day when I'm trying to focus on other things. My yoga journal is a good place to process things that have been bothering me. Now that I've identified uncomfortable emotions during meditation, I can purge those feelings and release them onto paper. Later, if those subjects still bother me, I have my journal to refer to as I share the experience with a trusted friend or teacher.

I want something to help me continue my practice during times when I am not very motivated. My yoga journal helps me identify what I'm grateful for so that I may keep a positive perspective during challenging times. It is much easier to quit than to keep up, and by identifying what I appreciate, I avoid falling into a trap of getting discouraged when I don't recognize results fast enough.

Writing in my yoga journal helps build accountability. When there is something that bothers me, there is always something wrong with me - not others. My yoga journal helps me identify what my role is in every life experience. I cannot make a change if I am unable or unwilling to identify what the problem or issue is.

A yoga journal assists me in identifying the habits that block me. Deeper still, I can learn to discover the causes and conditions that manifest my habits, and then I have the choice to keep the habits I want, or discard the habits that no longer help me to become the person that I want to become.

Journaling helps me identify and reinforce the progress that I make and to set goals. This is probably the clearest way to recognize my forward progress, since I can literally turn back pages in my yoga journal to find out what I was thinking, feeling, and doing at any point in time.

Whether I write in my yoga journal upon awakening, after sadhana, before meditation or following meditation, or anytime something good happens, I am identifying, solidifying, reinforcing, and purging my experiences for a more happy, healthful present.

amarpreet

Spiritual Name: Amarpreet Singh
Legal Name: Derek Whitman

Return to Kundalini Yoga